Saturday, September 24, 2011

Glad I'm not getting married to him either.

Saturday, 9:47am I received the following text from my friend/office-suite-mate/fellow marriage celebrant: "Your 10am wedding is here. Either <property manager or her husband> let them in."

I didn't see the text until 10:10am, while still at home and in my PJs.  Panic set in, I didn't think I had a 10am appointment.  I scampered around my condo - checked my calendars (paper and electronic) - no sign of an appointment.  I checked my voice mail at the office (I always tell weekend & after hours weddings to call if I don't answer the building buzzer after a minute or two).  No message. Who on earth was my 10am wedding and how on earth was I going to explain being so very late?

10:11 I texted back to my friend: "who is my 10am wedding?"  While still in a panic about getting in trouble with our Chief Judge ... I decided to call her and not wait for a return text.  And, I continued scrambling around my condo to get dressed and get out the door, if necessary.

My end of the conversation went something like this:  who are they? I don't have a wedding scheduled? who let them in? crap, do you want to do the wedding?  why didn't the property manager and/or her husband call me to tell me I had an appointment hanging out waiting for me?  crap crap crap

Her end of the conversation went something like this:  they were here when I walked in and they were adamant that they were here for you.  I'm not sure who exactly let them in, but thought you should know.  I have a 10am that didn't show up and won't answer their phone.  Didn't ask them who they were because they were adamant that they were there for you.... let me go see who they are.

10:18am text received: "It's mine. He's an idiot."

about thirty minutes later, my friend sent me a follow-up text with what I thought was the rest of the story: "Sorry to panic you first thing but when they are adamant about the name I don't question them a lot at first. Before you called I called him and he didn't answer his phone and I left a message.  Then after you called I told him you didn't have an appointment"

and after piecing the tidbits together, it seems after asking his name and telling him that she spoke to me and I didn't have an appointment scheduled at 10am, he confessed to my friend that his appointment was with someone else but that he had forgotten that person's name.  He gave my name because he saw it on the sign for the building and recognized it from the list of people on the marriage celebrant list (NOTE: this list is only 5 names, so remembering the right one shouldn't be too tough).

My friend performed the wedding, all the while thinking "glad I'm not getting married to him" and I went about my morning, figuring all is well, that ends well.

BUT, that wasn't the end of it! I came to the office a few hours later and ran in to the property manager's husband - who informed me that HE had let the couple in when the arrived AT 9 AM!  (Remember, they thought they had a 10am appointment).  Do the math - they sat in our very small reception area, for almost 1.5 hours waiting for me, with whom they did not have their 10am appointment; instead of answering his phone and/or perhaps remembering the correct name for the person with whom they DID have a 10am appointment.

Glad I'm not getting married to him either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide feedback! Likes, dislikes, think it's funny? want to hear something specific? If you don't provide feedback I have no way of knowing which stories you like best and worst!!